A little history –
Founded in the 19th century, the club originally met in a room of the Parish Church at the agreement of Canon Moore. They later moved to a premises on the Crescent, then the Drill Hall in the Sheep Market. In 1892 they were formally established and took up premises in New Road where Maples Solicitors are now based. The building soon became ‘out grown’ for their requirements and in response to this, John Henry Bunting (1850-1933), one of the party leaders of the Conservative and Unionist party, offered to build a new club should the Conservative candidate W.S.Royce be re-elected in the Spalding division.
Although defeated by F.W.S McLaren of the Liberal party, the club members formed a committee for the purpose of acquiring a new building. The Manor House on Broad Street, then owned by Mrs Wilkinson (widow of Joseph Wilkinson), came into their possession, and during a meeting at the Corn Exchange in March 1911, Bunting, acting as Vice-Chairman, gifted the Manor House to the Conservatives for use as a club.
The club contracted Stapleton & Co and R.H Holmes of Spalding; and at a cost of £250.00 the works to make the club fit for purpose were carried out in 5 months. The club was formally opened on Thursday 27th July 1911 by Mr G Locker-Lampson MP for Salisbury.
Over the next 100 years, the club has evolved to become one of the best known members clubs in South Lincolnshire with a whole host of activities on a weekly basis. To put the size of the club and land it originally owned into context, if on visiting you look over the bowls green, the land reaching far back past the Spalding Bingo Hall and Home Base to the old Fire Station all belonged to the ‘Manor House’.
Whether its a quiet drink or coffee you wish to have, a meeting, or to participate in any one of the club’s activities; we welcome visitors who may wish to join together with all our members who use the club’s facilities.